Have you ever worked on a project you’ve been SO passionate about that you even start to dream about it? For me, that project is the Yorkville Exotic Car Show: Virtual Edition.
Typically, this annual show takes over Bloor St. every year to showcase a handful of exotic cars to raise money for cancer research. Due to the pandemic, we had to cancel our “IRL” show. Given the current situation, it was the safest and most logical decision– surprisingly, to some objections from avid show-goers.
In lieu of our show, I proposed an online version to keep our community excited for next year’s event which will be a big one as it’s our tenth anniversary. Our virtual show will take place on Instagram Live on Father’s Day at 1 PM, and it gives us an opportunity to really connect with our audience. Typically, we don’t have the chance to really talk about our cause or the cars that we have on display.
I chose to take the Instagram Live route for a few different reasons:
- We aren’t for-profit and don’t need email addresses required for a Zoom set-up,
- At the time of the proposal, I was inspired by various Instagram Live broadcasts from local gyms like Sweat & Tonic and Fit Factory Toronto.
- I thought an online variation requiring votes on a website would be too stale.
Essentially, I wanted something that even I would tune in to!
On Sunday, June 21, 2020, at 1 PM sharp, we’re going live from the @YorkvilleECS page. Here’s what you need to know about who will be joining us, and with what:
- Our presenting sponsor, the Bloor-Yorkville BIA, will be broadcasting from The Colonnade on Bloor St. with a “Best of Bond, James Bond” display from Grand Touring Automobiles and Aston Martin. The new 2020 DBS Superleggera will be on-site! The DBS Superleggera is actually going to be featured in the upcoming “No Time to Die” film, set to release in the fall. This vehicle is in the custom Casino Royale paint colour and is the only one if its kind in the Americas. Weather-permitting, we may also have a 1966 DB6 on display in Silver Birch. These two special vehicles will be available for public viewing until 5 PM.
- We’ll then be joined by the iconic Ron Fellows and his son Sam as they showcase the all-new mid-engine C8 Corvette from Chevrolet Canada. This is a really exciting car and I hope someday I’ll have the chance to drive it!
- Following our segment from Chevrolet, Steve Bortolotti from Pfaff Automotive will join us on-camera to show us the Porsche 935. This vehicle is truly jaw-dropping and you will be impressed by all the little details Steve will go over.
- Next, auto journalist Jim Kenzie will tune in from Legendary Motor Car where they have a stunning 1995 Ferrari F50 on display! This is one of 349 ever made and I’m so excited for Jim’s presentation of this incredible car.
- We’ll be wrapping up our broadcast with Vajid Khan, chairman of Cars & Chai Toronto. His Aventador SVJ is beautifully designed and he chose some really amazing options I can’t wait for you to see.
We have one more week to go until our show goes Live and it’s going to be so satisfying to see all the effort my team and I has put into this come to life!
One thought on “2020 Yorkville Exotic Car Show: Virtual Edition”
Can’t wait to see this new format in action! Great idea organizing it virtually given the current social situation – finding viable solutions is something you’re truly skilled at!